Legal Services

Locations in

Boston | Mansfield | Braintree
Canton | Plymouth



Communication Disorders


Special Education Law: Communication Disorders

Under federal law, a child may be eligible to receive special education services if he or she is diagnosed with a communication disorder. This condition is diagnosed when the child’s capacity to use expressive and/or receptive language is significantly limited, impaired, or delayed and is exhibited by difficulties in one or more of the following areas:

  • Speech Disorders – When a person is unable to produce speech sounds correctly or fluently, or has problems with his or her voice, then he or she has a speech disorder. Difficulties pronouncing sounds, or articulation disorders, and stuttering are examples of speech disorders.
  • Language Disorders – When a person has trouble understanding others (receptive language), or sharing thoughts, ideas, and feelings completely (expressive language), then he or she has a language disorder. A stroke can result in aphasia, or a language disorder.

It is critical to address communication disorders at any early age.

Because all communication disorders have the potential to isolate children from their social and educational surroundings, it is essential to provide speech and language services as soon as a problem is identified. We can help you identify qualified speech and language professionals to evaluate your child’s needs.

Knowledgeable and experienced school lawyers

We have experience advocating for appropriate placements and services for children with Communication Disorders. If you need help advocating for your child, please contact us. We understand the steps that are necessary to get your child the free appropriate public education he or she is legally entitled to receive.

We know the importance of your child’s education and we appreciate your confidence when you choose us to help protect your child’s rights. It will always be our goal to provide effective and efficient legal representation in a highly responsive manner to improve your child’s education.